home tutorials features parties custom orders

Thursday, May 29, 2014

A sewVery Simple Fabric Gift and Storage Bag Tutorial

I never seem to have the right size or style of gift bag when I need one, or when I'm packing for a trip, I'm always needing a bag to put extra shoes in so they don't get my clothes all dirty.  Well, no more!

I've sewn up a bunch of great fabric bags in varying sizes and fabrics to use for gift wrap as well as any type of storage you can image!  You can make up your own collection, too, using my sewVery Simple Fabric Gift and Storage Bag Tutorial below!


For all my fabric gift and storage bags, I used pieces from a half yard bundle of Anna Griffin's Grace collection.  This particular bundle of fabric includes some beautiful floral prints ideal for women's gifts and a less feminine gray/yellow print that I think is suitable for a man's present as well.  These fabrics are great quality and will hold up well as these bags are used time and time again.

Using a few fat quarters and half yard cuts as well as a spool of gross grain ribbon, you can churn out a variety of bags in no time at all!  Ready to get started?!  Let's go!








To prevent your ribbon ends from unraveling or fraying, apply a small amount of fray check to the cut ends and let it dry.



That's all there is to it!  From now own, I am going to keep a collection of these sewVery Simple Fabric Gift and Storage Bags handy for any last minute presents that need wrapping or to help organize my ever growing collection of purse hardware, buttons, and trims.  I even plan to make a collection for each of my kids so they (ha! ha!) can sort and neatly organize their toys.  The medium and large bags are perfect for mailing custom sewing orders in (instead of wrapping the item in tissue paper or a plastic bag), and the customer can enjoy reusing the bag over and over again.  The uses for these bags are endless!


The smallest bag, shown below, is ideal for gift cards or even a pair of earrings!


And these two medium bags are perfect for transporting spare shoes in your luggage.


Lastly, this BIG bag, made using the entire half yard piece, is great for a dirty laundry bag or to store all of your other smaller fabric gift and storage bags inside it!


Hope you enjoyed my sewVery Simple Fabric Gift and Storage Bag Tutorial today!  If so, I'd love for you to leave me a comment letting me know how you plan to use your new fabric bags!


Until next time, have fun sewing!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely tutorial, these bags are great for what ever comes in your mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I could think of a ton of uses for these little bags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely sew up a bunch. Sounds easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute and fun - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the tutorial and the suggested measurement list! Tha really helps in figuring out the sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are always opportunities to use great bags like these. The fabric is to die for! I see a dress in my future! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!