home tutorials features parties custom orders

Friday, December 13, 2013

A Christmas Norah Dress

I absolutely love the Norah Dress I made for Ella to wear this Christmas season!  It turned out exactly as I envisioned and has become one of my favorite pieces for her to wear! 


In case you've been living in a hole for the last couple of months, then you've seen the Norah Dress pattern from Welcome to the Mouse House all over the pdf pattern world.  



The talented and funny Hayley designed this adorable dress/tunic pattern with a vintage flare that I simply adore!  I was super excited that she invited me to join in on the pattern tour.


For my Christmas Norah Dress version, I used tango red ponte roma fabric for the dress and sleeves, a white ponte roma fabric for the collar and sleeve cuffs, and white muslin for the lining--all purchased at Joann's.  



The ponte roma knit has such a beautiful drape and feel to it, and it was pretty easy to sew since this type of knit is a little thicker and doesn't curl on the cut edges.  I just used a slightly longer stitch length when I used my regular machine for topstitching or hemming, but I mainly used the serger with both needles in to sew the interior seams together.  Just be sure to use a scrap of fabric to test the differential setting and tensions to get them just right for your fabric before you attempt to sew the dress!


I made Ella the size 6 dress and used a size 3 (I think) sleeve length but then added the 2 1/2" white cuffs to the end (my own addition and not included in the pattern).  I compared these measurements to a t-shirt that fits her well before I cut out my fabrics.



The back has a slit at the top with a button loop closure that is hidden under the collar.  

Ella loved wearing this dress literally all day long.  She had so much fun walking around and looking at Christmas decorations and meeting Santa with her good friends Christian and Eva Mae, Sewing Mama RaeAnna's children.  I had a blast watching them hold hands and posing in strange positions (not sure why Ella keeps holding her leg up and why Christian is poking out his lips) while RaeAnna and I tried to snap pictures and our friend, Lindsay of Lindsay Sews and Craft Buds, kept chasing after Eva Mae!




So, in case you haven't purchased the Norah Dress pattern from Welcome to the Mouse House,  I strongly suggest you do!  It has several sleeve options, length options, and collar options.  The fit is spot on and the pattern is suitable for wovens or knits!  The only thing I may do differently next time is make the facing a full length lining.  You can't go wrong with this classic design, and I promise you will use this pattern over and over again.  I know I will!


Merry Christmas, and have fun sewing!

Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Adorable!!! I just can't believe how old she looks in some of those close up shots!??!?!?! What happened to our kids? They get bigger and bigger every day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable Veronica! The cuffs are the perfect touch aren't they? I love ponte roma fabric in this style too.what a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful Veronica!!! That knit was the absolute perfect choice, without a doubt. When you first sent me the photos, I sighed because it is exactly what I intended for a Norah dress. Thank you so much and I appreciate your hard work. Great to see you and RaeAnna together~ I hope I get to meet up with you guys one day!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!