home tutorials features parties custom orders

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Britney's Bubble Top


Does anyone else love the cute patterns designed by Create Kids Couture? Thought so!  Well, if you follow them on Facebook or follow their blog, then you know that they've started offering one of their patterns for half off on Fridays.  A couple of weeks ago, I jumped at the chance to purchase one of their most popular patterns--the Britney Bubble Top--during one of these Friday offers.

Britney's Bubble Top is so simple to make that I didn't wait long to whip one up for Miss Ella.  If you only use one fabric (instead of two coordinating fabrics which is an option) then there are literally on three things to cut out for this shirt (bodice and sleeves).  The pattern instructions have great descriptions and photos for each step, making this one of the easiest things I've sewn in quite some time. I chose to go with a size 4T, and I think the end result is a perfect fit!


I used some lightweight pink polka dot Swiss dot cotton fabric that I had on hand from Hancock Fabrics.  Since this top has shirring across the bodice and on the sleeves, I knew the lightweight fabric would work well.



I was also able to find at a local fabric shop the elastic thread brand (Stretch Rite) that Create Kids Couture had recommended in the pattern.  The Stretch Rite elastic thread apparently has a higher rubber content and is even thicker than the Dritz brand.  It made an amazing difference in how much the fabric draws up and can stretch when you shir with it!  I won't be using the other stuff anymore!


If you are familiar with Create Kids Couture's patterns, then you already know that they use rolled edges and shirring in all their designs.  To make this top, it definitely speeds things along if you have a serger to make the rolled edge hem, although it isn't necessary.  You could make a narrow rolled hem with a special foot for your sewing machine or just iron a narrow hem, but I don't think the effect would be the same for the finished top with the latter.




I just happened to have some pink serger thread that matched the fabric perfectly!  I think that just adds to the cuteness!

In roughly an hour, my daughter had this fun, cool to wear summer top already on and running around in it.  She was even agreeable to let me take a few quick photos of her wearing it.  See the Legos?  Apparently she made herself a trophy.  I told her it was for being the cutest girl on the block!


The Britney Bubble Top is perfect for summer weather and playtime, so I know there will be a few more of these whipped up for Ella's summer wardrobe.  In fact, there may already be a second one!


If you like Create Kids Couture, don't forget to check out their blog on Friday to see what the latest half-off pattern will be--although their patterns are a great deal any day of the week!

Have fun sewing!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I want to just take her home and stick her in my pocket! She is just too cute! I love the top as well. The polka dots and the bubble form of the shirt is just so fun. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that top and the fabric is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is darling and so is your sweet model. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments, and thank you for becoming my 100th follower!

      Delete
  4. Awwwww so super cute! Thanks for sharing us with your friends. Your daughter is cute as a button and this top is adorable on her. I LOVE that you used the swiss dot fabric. I have a couple yards on hand and I've been trying to think what to make with it other than the Felicity's top that I ALWAYS make with it! lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your patterns are great and so worth telling other about! Thanks for checking out my blog post!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!